rhythmbox and aac files

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 22 20:47:55 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 19:29 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 06:39 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Admittedly I have mucked around with things. At one time, I did have
> > rhythmbox playing aac files pulled off my ipod but rhythmbox kept
> > crashing when my ipod was connected so I have tried various things such
> > as removing and installing rhythmbox over again and the various
> > gstreamer files.
>
> My initial guess would be that you need another package.  I think that
> the aac gstreamer plugins are in different packages.  But, I don't have
> Fedora to check for those.  They're probably not in the standard Redhat
> distribution, as they have some of the same issues as MP3, but you can
> look for them.
----
indeed there are various packages of plugins and gstreamer plugins are
like way confusing now with the good/bad/ugly stuff as referenced on the
web site, which of course, doesn't correlate to my fc3 version.

I have checked rpmforge, dag, extras and livna and the only one I found
was livna which had the gstreamer-plugins-mp3 package which I installed
and indeed plays mp3's.

I would have sworn that I had aac files playing on it at first go but it
kept crashing every time I plugged in my ipod so I punted, removed it
all, cleaned out settings (you know how the gnome stuff
works...~/gconf/applications/rhythmbox ~/gnome2/rhythmbox etc.) PITA -
and now it no longer crashes when I connect the ipod...it also won't
play aac files.

Apparently those that monitor the fedora-list don't use ipods cause I
can't seem to get any traction to my questions on this stuff.
----

> You can always test raw GStreamer stuff using gst-launch.  Here's the
> man page, you can make sure that it isn't a Rhythmbox or any other app
> issue.
>
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/gst-launch.1.html
----
yeah - I will probably have to fool with this - first I'll have to
figure out what sound I am using, I think esd.
----

> Also, I'm not sure that it is a huge issue, but you are back a few
> versions on gstreamer.  I think mostly they were bugfixes, but they have
> had quite a few huge bug fix releases recently.
----
distro hell - my fc-4 box is at my clients, this one is going to remain
on fc-3 for a little while. I have been upgrading 1 at a time. This one
went from fc-1 to fc-3...the other went from fc-2 to fc-4 - sort of a
personal hop scotch. At least I figured out gst-register  ;-)
----

> Lastly, here's a OS app to use the iTunes music store for those who are
> interested:
>
> http://nanocrew.net/software/sharpmusique/

----
I saturated my 20g ipod with my cd collection - in fact, I just ordered
hp 40 gig ipod refurbished ($269 from clubmac.com) and am going to sell
my 20 gig ipod to my daughter for $100 (if she actually pays me) and
will then be able to finish ripping and loading the ipod before I can
think about new music - not too keen on DRM or acting thief-like with
hymm. Think I would prefer to buy physical forms at this point - but
thanks.

What a great list - too bad Kurt went to the dark side and we lost our
inside connection to kde

Craig

believed to be clean.