rhythmbox and aac files

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Sep 22 19:29:49 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 06:39 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> Admittedly I have mucked around with things. At one time, I did have
> rhythmbox playing aac files pulled off my ipod but rhythmbox kept
> crashing when my ipod was connected so I have tried various things such
> as removing and installing rhythmbox over again and the various
> gstreamer files.

My initial guess would be that you need another package.  I think that
the aac gstreamer plugins are in different packages.  But, I don't have
Fedora to check for those.  They're probably not in the standard Redhat
distribution, as they have some of the same issues as MP3, but you can
look for them.

You can always test raw GStreamer stuff using gst-launch.  Here's the
man page, you can make sure that it isn't a Rhythmbox or any other app
issue.

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/gst-launch.1.html

Also, I'm not sure that it is a huge issue, but you are back a few
versions on gstreamer.  I think mostly they were bugfixes, but they have
had quite a few huge bug fix releases recently.

Lastly, here's a OS app to use the iTunes music store for those who are
interested:

http://nanocrew.net/software/sharpmusique/

		--Ted