firefox insecurity?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 21 01:48:15 MST 2005

Am 20. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

> der.hans wrote:
>
> >A quick question for those who use m$ desktops but don't use eXploder and
> >LookOut: do you still have to run anti-spyware and anti-virus stuff all
> >the time? If you do run them, do you constantly find stuff that needs to
> >be removed?
> >

> I don't anymore, but when I did use a Windows desktop I used only
> Netscape, then Mozilla, then Firefox/Thunderbird.  In 4 years I never
> had a single virus.  (Scanning every 6 months or so...)
>
> That's not just to do with IE or Outlook, though.  Many many scams out
> there use social engineering, phishing, etc, to steal information, and
> these are not browser-specific.  Being reasonably aware of what these
> attacks look like definitely reduces the amount of garbage one ends up
> with.   (If you get an email from an unrecognized source saying 'your
> computer is not secure, run the attached program to fix the hold', don't
> do it!  It's amazing how many times I talk to people who just follow
> these kinds of instructions without question.)

Yes, I know social engineering is a big problem in the m$ world.

It will also be more and more of a problem in Free Software as less
technical people adopt Free Software tools.

> I guess all I'm saying is that secure browsing is not purely a technical
> question.  You have to have good habits as well.

Yup. Most people aren't going to adopt them, though. I don't know how to
solve it, but I'm glad to use software that doesn't make things worse :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important