firefox insecurity?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Sep 20 14:10:13 MST 2005

der.hans wrote:

>A quick question for those who use m$ desktops but don't use eXploder and
>LookOut: do you still have to run anti-spyware and anti-virus stuff all
>the time? If you do run them, do you constantly find stuff that needs to
>be removed?

I don't anymore, but when I did use a Windows desktop I used only
Netscape, then Mozilla, then Firefox/Thunderbird.  In 4 years I never
had a single virus.  (Scanning every 6 months or so...)

That's not just to do with IE or Outlook, though.  Many many scams out
there use social engineering, phishing, etc, to steal information, and
these are not browser-specific.  Being reasonably aware of what these
attacks look like definitely reduces the amount of garbage one ends up
with.   (If you get an email from an unrecognized source saying 'your
computer is not secure, run the attached program to fix the hold', don't
do it!  It's amazing how many times I talk to people who just follow
these kinds of instructions without question.)

I guess all I'm saying is that secure browsing is not purely a technical
question.  You have to have good habits as well.

alex