jobs & salaries

David Huerta huertanix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:56:47 MST 2005

I have to disagree; I've seen a growing demand for Linux software
developers, however, not in the same league as .NET or Java Business
Application Developers. Linux embedded systems programming is a high-paying
job for a programmer, and involved more on the engineering side of things.
There's also web application developers that code web apps that likely end
up running on a Linux/UNIX server. There's no shortage of PHP jobs out
there, for example.

On 9/15/05, Trent Shipley <tshipley at deru.com> wrote:

> I think you are right ... application development under any form of unix,
> including Linux, is scarce to the point of being nonexistant. There is an
> excellent reason for this. *nix seldom lives on the desktop, so there is
> little or no demand for application development, because so few people use
> *nix applications.
>
> Obviously one can make a nice living in the *nix world as an
> administrator.
> As a developer one's options are more limited than in the MS world. First
> there is no clear biz-wide language comparable to VB.net. For that matter,
> there is no OS-wide RAD comparable to Visual Studio. More importantly,
> there
> is no way to quickly whip together a brand-new stand alone application the
> way you can with VB.
>

> Here are my impressions of some development realms.
>
> A lot of what passes for application programming in the MS world becomes
> shell
> scripting and glueing in *nix.
>
> Bash|Korn, PERL|Python ~~ VB
> It is easier to learn to do this in MS than *nix and you only have to
> learn
> it once.
>
> There is plenty of call for web programming in *nix.
>
> PHP ~~ VB
> Each is comparable. Note, however, that when you learn VB for web
> programming the fundamentals get reused for application and shell
> programming.
>
> Enterprise programming:
>
> DB+SQL dialect+Java+Shell Script+Glue Script
> ~~ DB+SQL dialect+Java|C#+VB
>
> This actually works better under *nix than Windows.
>
> Kernel, device, and embedded programming.
> LOTS of guru level C, maybe some C++ for the lazy, a little assembly
> ~~ same as *nix.
> Probably MORE work using BSD and Linux as embedded operating systems.
>

> Application programming (such as it is in Linux)
> Java|(C, C++ ,TCL)|TCL|Thin client (any language + PHP and browser)
> ~~ Java|C#|(C#, VB)|VB
>
> ==================
>
> The big advantages for Windows from an application developer's
> perspective.
>
> Windows HAS (GUI) applications.
>
> Windows HAS users who consume GUI applications.
>
> Windows has VB, a learn once use everywhere for everything business
> friendly
> language. (That is, programmers with widely varying levels of experience
> and
> talent can be productive using Visual Basic).
>
> Windows has Visual Studio, a learn once RAD environment for all projects
> in
> nearly all OS languages.
>
> On Thursday 2005-09-15 12:42, Josh Coffman wrote:
> > 'tag
> >
> > Here's my dirty little secret. I'm a windows
> > developer. I'm pretty good at it and make a good
> > living. I've switched to linux at home(except a dual
> > boot for some side-work) mostly because I was tired of
> [...]

.dh