jobs & salaries

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Thu Sep 15 16:05:43 MST 2005

I think you are right ... application development under any form of unix,
including Linux, is scarce to the point of being nonexistant.  There is an
excellent reason for this.  *nix seldom lives on the desktop, so there is
little or no demand for application development, because so few people use
*nix applications.

Obviously one can make a nice living in the *nix world as an administrator.
As a developer one's options are more limited than in the MS world.  First
there is no clear biz-wide language comparable to VB.net.  For that matter,
there is no OS-wide RAD comparable to Visual Studio.  More importantly, there
is no way to quickly whip together a brand-new stand alone application the
way you can with VB.

Here are my impressions of some development realms.

A lot of what passes for application programming in the MS world becomes shell
scripting and glueing in *nix.

Bash|Korn, PERL|Python ~~ VB
   It is easier to learn to do this in MS than *nix and you only have to learn
it once.

There is plenty of call for web programming in *nix.

PHP ~~ VB
   Each is comparable.  Note, however, that when you learn VB for web
programming the fundamentals get reused for application and shell
programming.

Enterprise programming:

DB+SQL dialect+Java+Shell Script+Glue Script
  ~~ DB+SQL dialect+Java|C#+VB

This actually works better under *nix than Windows.

Kernel, device, and embedded programming.
  LOTS of guru level C, maybe some C++ for the lazy, a little assembly
     ~~ same as *nix.
Probably MORE work using BSD and Linux as embedded operating systems.

Application programming (such as it is in Linux)
Java|(C, C++ ,TCL)|TCL|Thin client (any language + PHP and browser)
  ~~ Java|C#|(C#, VB)|VB

The big advantages for Windows from an application developer's perspective.

Windows HAS (GUI) applications.

Windows HAS users who consume GUI applications.

Windows has VB, a learn once use everywhere for everything business friendly
language. (That is, programmers with widely varying levels of experience and
talent can be productive using Visual Basic).

Windows has Visual Studio, a learn once RAD environment for all projects in
nearly all OS languages.