apt confusion

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Sep 15 12:16:10 MST 2005

Am 15. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

> Yes, that helps a great deal!  I have heard about 'virtual packages' and
> tripped across various notices about them in messing around with this
> box.  I'll try to find more information about them.
>
> I don't think I could have ever managed a qMail install without 'Life
> With Qmail'.  It was still a multi-day task, as I'd never built anything
> from source before, but in the end it works.  That was on a Redhat
> system, and now I want to give the same process a shot on Debian.
> Hopefully it will go quicker the second time around.

debian has a build qmail from scratch mechanism of some sort. Builds debs,
so everything fits in the package management.

###
 Dan Bernstein (qmail's author) only gives permission for qmail to be
 distributed in source form, or binary for by approval.  This package
 has been put together to allow people to easily build a qmail binary
 package for themselves, from source.
 .
 To build a binary deb package, first install the qmail-src package, then
 type the command "build-qmail".  If you try "apt-get source --build
qmail-src"
 it will most likely fail because the users do not exist.  You MUST
install
 the qmail-src package first.  Also be sure to build and install ucspi-tcp
 before installing the binary qmail package.  Install the ucspi-tcp-src
package
 to get ucspi-tcp.
 .
 This package builds a binary .deb that is FHS compliant and conforms to
the
 Debian standards guidelines.  The resulting binary packages are not
suitable
 for re-distribution.
 .
 There are pre-compiled binary packages for qmail available, but they do
not
 conform to the Debian standards, and are not available in the official
archive.
###

> On another note : I had to install courier-imap to provide IMAP and
> webmail.  That package also comes with a pop server, as well as pops and
> imaps servers.  Anyone out there have a preference between the courier
> pop or qmail-pop3?  I'm using courier right now just for the sake of
> consistency.

I actively discourage qmail, so <someother>-imap is my recommendation :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
# To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember