Webpages and visibility

Kurt Wolf kwolf at itguyonline.com
Tue Sep 6 18:22:06 MST 2005

I have been watching this topic.  Interesting enough.  At my office
we try to keep a couple guidelines for colors.  The formula below
calculates the brightness of a color.

((Red value X 299) + (Green value X 587) + (Blue value X 114)) / 1000

By computing the brightness of the foreground and background, we try
to keep the difference between these two values greater than 125.
This is also found on the W3's site.

Two colors provide good color visibility if the brightness difference
and the color difference between the two colors are greater than a
set range.

Color brightness is determined by the following formula:
((Red value X 299) + (Green value X 587) + (Blue value X 114)) / 1000
Note: This algorithm is taken from a formula for converting RGB
values to YIQ values. This brightness value gives a perceived
brightness for a color.

Color difference is determined by the following formula:
(maximum (Red value 1, Red value 2) - minimum (Red value 1, Red value
2)) + (maximum (Green value 1, Green value 2) - minimum (Green value
1, Green value 2)) + (maximum (Blue value 1, Blue value 2) - minimum
(Blue value 1, Blue value 2))

The rage for color brightness difference is 125. The range for color
difference is 500.