asterisk: unable to register channel

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Sep 5 22:46:47 MST 2005

Am 03. Sep, 2005 schwätzte JD Austin so:

> der.hans wrote:
>
> >moin, moin,
> >
> >I'm having problems getting the land line working with a zap card.
> >

> >Sep  3 17:33:53 WARNING[1329]: Loading module chan_zap.so failed!
> >

> If you did an update that updated the kernel then run
> genzaptelconf  and rebuild_zaptel

###
[root at asterisk1 root]# genzaptelconf
Asterisk is already running. Configuration left untouched
You can use the option -s to shut down Asterisk for the
duration of the detection.
[root at asterisk1 root]# asterisk stop
[root at asterisk1 root]# genzaptelconf
Asterisk is already running. Configuration left untouched
You can use the option -s to shut down Asterisk for the
duration of the detection.
[root at asterisk1 root]# genzaptelconf -s

STOPPING ASTERISK

STOPPING FOP SERVER
Unloading zaptel hardware drivers: wcusb.
Removing zaptel module:                                    [  OK  ]
Waiting for zap to come online...OK
/proc/zaptel, loading ztdummy
Running ztcfg:                                             [  OK  ]

SETTING FILE PERMISSIONS
Permissions OK

STARTING ASTERISK
Asterisk ended with exit status 1
Asterisk died with code 1.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.
Asterisk ended with exit status 1
Asterisk died with code 1.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

Asterisk could not start!
Use 'tail /var/log/asterisk/full' to find out why.
Unable to connect to remote asterisk
###

That doesn't look good to me.

Here's the end of rebuild_zaptel.

###
for x in zaptel tor2 torisa wcusb wcfxo wctdm ztdynamic ztd-eth wct1xxp
wct4xxp wcte11xp pciradio ztd-loc ztdummy; do \
        if ! grep -q "post-install $x" /etc/modules.conf; then \
                if ! grep -q "install $x " /etc/modules.conf; then \
                        if [ "$x" != "zaptel" ] ; then \
                                if [ -f zaptel.ko ]; then echo "install $x
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install $x && /sbin/ztcfg" >> /etc/modules.conf; \
                                else echo "post-install $x /sbin/ztcfg" >>
/etc/modules.conf; \
                                fi; \
                        fi; \
                fi; \
        fi; \
done
if ! grep "alias wcfxs" /etc/modules.conf; then \
        echo "alias wcfxs wctdm" >> /etc/modules.conf; \
fi
alias wcfxs wctdm
if [ -d /etc/modutils ]; then \
        /sbin/update-modules ; \
fi
[ `id -u` = 0 ] && /sbin/depmod -a || :
[ -f /etc/zaptel.conf ] || install -D -m 644 zaptel.conf.sample
/etc/zaptel.conf
###

OK, let's see if the reboot gets stuck again...

Still not working, so I tried rebuild_zaptel and then genzaptelconf.

###
[...]

Unloading zaptel hardware drivers: wcusb wcfxo.
Removing zaptel module:                                    [  OK  ]
Waiting for zap to come online...OK

SETTING FILE PERMISSIONS
Permissions OK

STARTING ASTERISK
/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 83:  3246 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) asterisk ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} 1>&/dev/${TTY} </dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 139
Asterisk exited on signal 11.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.
/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 83:  3262 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) asterisk ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} 1>&/dev/${TTY} </dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 139
Asterisk exited on signal 11.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

Asterisk could not start!
Use 'tail /var/log/asterisk/full' to find out why.
Unable to connect to remote asterisk
###

Ooooh, the core dump is back. Fun, fun, fun :(.

OK, just figured out why genzaptelconf keeps thinking that asterisk is
running. The amp web server is running as asterisk.

I stop it and genzaptelconf no longer bitches about the running asterisk,
but now it complains that it can't connect to asterisk.

Makes sense since we've shut asterisk off like it wants...

Started asterisk and still getting "Unable to connect to remote asterisk".

> from root.
> The pseudo zap timer uses the usb interface, disabling USB can cause
> issues if you're using pseudo zap.

I had disabled USB in order to avoid interrupt conflicts. I've reenabled
USb.

> It might be the dhcp server they bundle too (I don't use the DHCP server).
> I did have an issue once where I initially loaded asterisk at home without
> a zap card and then put one in,
> I didn't have time to figure it out, so I simply reloaded asterisk at home
> with the card installed and it worked fine.

I'm using a static address.

> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: Unknown directive
> >'permit=192.168.1.0/255.255.255
> >.0' at line 18 of manager_custom.conf
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: ...
> >Soun
> >d may be choppy.
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: Unknown directive 'parkingtime' at line 9
> >of feat
> >ures.conf
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 NOTICE[1348]: Unable to load config mgcp.conf, MGCP
> >disabled
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: Unable to open IAX timing interface: No
> >such devi
> >ce
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 NOTICE[1348]: Unable to load config skinny.conf, Skinny
> >disabled
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: Unable to open '/dev/zap/channel': No such
> >device
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 ERROR[1348]: Unable to open channel 1: No such device
> >here = 0, tmp->channel = 1, channel = 1
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 ERROR[1348]: Unable to register channel '1'
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: chan_zap.so: load_module failed, returning
> >-1
> >Sep  3 17:33:57 WARNING[1348]: Loading module chan_zap.so failed!
> >

> >Hmmm, looks like the permit line is supposed to be commented out.
> >
> >#permit=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
> >
> >I deleted it and restarted asterisk.
> >
> >Don't know what what MGCP is.
> >

> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=MGCP
>
> >I haven't installed anything specific for IAX. That's the asterisk to
> >asterisk proto, right?
> >

> It will do it automatically.

OK

> >I think skinny is for some Cisco hardware devices I don't have.
> >

> I don't have cisco hardware either.  Sounds more like the kernel modules
> aren't setup.
> Does the box have a sound card?   Asterisk uses the sound card hardware
> for a bunch of things.

Something else that had been disabled, but has since been reenabled.

> >crw-r--r--    1 asterisk asterisk 196, 254 Sep  2 00:44 /dev/zap/channel
> >
> >Just because there's a /dev/ doesn't mean the physical device is setup,
> >though.
> >

> True, but if it's not there you can be sure it isn't setup.

Yup.

> >[root at asterisk1 root]# cat /proc/interrupts
> >           CPU0
> >  0:    1401443          XT-PIC  timer
> >  1:          4          XT-PIC  keyboard
> >  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
> >  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
> > 10:       8408          XT-PIC  eth0
> > 11:          0          XT-PIC  libata
> > 12:         33          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
> > 14:      44358          XT-PIC  ide0
> > 15:         60          XT-PIC  ide1
> >NMI:          0
> >ERR:          0
> >
> >The zap card was on interrupt 10, but when I restarted asterisk (
> >including via reboot and hard boot ) it didn't come back up.
> >

> Hmm..  What is on irq11 - libata?

Yeah, dunno what that is.

> Having eth0 and the zap card on the same interrupt will give you all
> sorts of trouble with audio quality.

It was on the same interrupt as libata until I moved the card. I will try
the 3rd slot and see what that gives me.

> Go into the bios and force some thing to share an irq or disable thing
> you don't care about

I tried that, which is why USB was disabled.

> Heres from a box I'm building:
> [root at asterisk1 root]# cat /proc/interrupts
>
>   0:   53503481          XT-PIC  timer
>
>   1:        467          XT-PIC  keyboard
>
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>
>  * 3:  534466857          XT-PIC  wcfxo*
>
>   4:          5          XT-PIC  serial
>
>   5:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci
>
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>
>   9:          0          XT-PIC  ehci-hcd
>
>  10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci
>
>  11:     525097          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, eth0
>
>  12:        860          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>
>  14:     937421          XT-PIC  ide0
>
>  15:          0          XT-PIC  ide1
>
> NMI:          0
>

> >I also tried an upgrade via yum.
> >
> >ciao,
> >
> >der.hans
> >

>  I think at this point you should start over.
> This thing has about the same learning curve as Linux does, but like
> Linux persistence pays off :)
> I started over about 6 times before I got the first one right after that
> it was much easier.

Well, this was the second install. I've got several things working.

I was hoping to be able to use the analog handset to make a call via
asterisk over the land line. That's what I'm trying to do now.

Next would be to get asterisk to ring the analog handset for incoming
calls.

I think I can figure out the push this for that sequences. For basic items
anyway.

> Here are some sites that will eat up more time than you have (grin):

Yeah, I've been avoiding them :). Googling has pointed me at voip-info,
but I obviously still haven't figured it out.

>     http://www.voip-info.org
>     http://voxilla.com
>     http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=123387
>     http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=121515
>
> It definately looks like the zap module isn't getting loaded start with
> genzaptelconf and rebuild_zaptel .

Been trying that...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;