flash for linux

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon Sep 5 11:59:01 MST 2005

Josh Coffman wrote:
>   I do side work like websites sometimes, and everyso
> often ide possibilty of using flash is there. Since,
> I've migrated to linux and ha to learn all sorts of
> new stuff, figured maybe I could learn Flash too. I
> even found a sourceforge project http://f4l.sf.net.
>
> Any one ever used it? Can anyone point me in the right
> direction to get started with flash in general for
> f4l? Or any other suggestions for writing flash on
> linux?

Well, it looks like Flash is getting implemented in the new version of
GStreamer (http://www.gstreamer.org), so for a viewer that will probably
be the way to go.  I believe that they are using f4l, but I'm not sure.

The only authoring tool that I know of is Spalah (http://spalah.sf.net)
which is still a little bit immature.

I would agree with the poster who recommended SVG, it is a format which
is starting to gain a hold in web development.  If your cell phone
supports graphical web browsing, there is a good chance it also supports
SVG.  Of course, my favorite SVG drawing tool is Inkscape
(http://www.inkscape.org)

If you're into programming Perl, there is a Perl module to create Flash,
but I've not used it.
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-category/18_Images_Pixmaps_Bitmaps/Flash/

I've seen this used several places, note that it has licensing
restrictions, but it looks cool for PHP.
http://www.maani.us/charts/index.php

	Good luck,
		Ted