won't POST

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Sep 4 16:52:14 MST 2005

Am 04. Sep, 2005 schwätzte JD Austin so:

> der.hans wrote:
>
> >moin, moin,
> >
> >as of last night my asterisk box ( a week old ) won't post :(.
> >
> >The line describing the cpu come up, then nothing. Can't get it to go into
> >bios setup.
> >
> Getting into the bios should have nothing to do with anything you've
> done to the OS: Try a knoppix cd to see if the box is viable.

This is not an OS problem. It's not even getting far enough to get into
the bios setup.

I hadn't tried a bootable CD because it doesn't get that far. I just tried
it, though, and it still stops after displaying the CPU info.

ciao,

der.hans

> >I didn't physically change anything on the box yesterday.
> >
> >I did run the two commands JD had recommended, genzaptelconf and
> >rebuild_zaptel, and then rebooted when they didn't work. That was the
> >first boot where the box wouldn't post.
> >

> Very odd.  Running those commands just rebuild zaptel.conf and the
> kernel module for zap devices.
> They wouldn't affect your ability to boot, though the asterisk process
> will die if you try to load modules that don't exist.
>
> >I just pulled the fxs card and it still stops at the same point.
> >

> Hmm.. when you stay 'stops' that sounds like linux is loading.
> When the machine boots does it present more than one kernel?  If so,
> pick the bottom one to see if it will boot then.
> If that doesn't work I'd start over and reload the box to save time.
>
> >ciao,
> >
> >der.hans

#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Freedom isn't everything, but without freedom you have nothing. - der.hans