won't POST

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Sun Sep 4 14:27:29 MST 2005

der.hans wrote:

>moin, moin,
>
>as of last night my asterisk box ( a week old ) won't post :(.
>
>The line describing the cpu come up, then nothing. Can't get it to go into
>bios setup.

Getting into the bios should have nothing to do with anything you've
done to the OS: Try a knoppix cd to see if the box is viable.

>I didn't physically change anything on the box yesterday.
>
>I did run the two commands JD had recommended, genzaptelconf and
>rebuild_zaptel, and then rebooted when they didn't work. That was the
>first boot where the box wouldn't post.

Very odd.  Running those commands just rebuild zaptel.conf and the
kernel module for zap devices.
They wouldn't affect your ability to boot, though the asterisk process
will die if you try to load modules that don't exist.

>I just pulled the fxs card and it still stops at the same point.

Hmm.. when you stay 'stops' that sounds like linux is loading.
When the machine boots does it present more than one kernel?  If so,
pick the bottom one to see if it will boot then.
If that doesn't work I'd start over and reload the box to save time.