iPod ineligence

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 1 19:44:44 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 11:31 -0700, Donn wrote:
> Craig,
> I realize you said earlier that you could not rmmod sbp2, and my
> previous response skipped right over that.
> I don't know if this will be helpful but here is a link:
>
> http://www.ipodlinux.org/Mounting_on_Linux

----
just a follow up - thanks for the link but apparently the target has
moved since that was written or perhaps it's the fedora 3 way of doing
things...

for the record - in case any iPod owners are tracking this...

gtkPod 0.94.0 (fedora 3 - don't know which repository I got it from)

made a manual entry in /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb2               /mnt/ipod            vfat    rw,user 0 0

this despite the fact that fstab-sync created it's own entry...
# /dev/sda2          /media/LINDA            vfat
pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,managed 0 0

which as you can see - I commented out.

gtkPod by default is set to /mnt/ipod and can be changed.
I checked the box to automount when launched (which automatically
umounts when you quit).

When I had trouble mounting the ipod, I executed 'modprobe sbp2' and
'modprobe ohci1394' (I am using firewire connection).

you still can't remove the ipod at that point though...the only way I
found that satisfies things is to use a shell and enter (I'm doing this
as root - perhaps it can be done as user) 'eject /dev/sdb2' and then
'modprobe -r sbp2'  At that point, the display on the ipod will no
longer show the connection to the computer and can be disconnected.

This obviously is subject to change - and perhaps more knowledge gained
by this user.

I also learned (by using the scripts from Donn's link) that rmmod is a
more dangerous command as I lost the ability to use modprobe -r sbp2
after I did the rmmod sbp2 - even though I would insmod sbp2, I couldn't
get it back. Note to self, probably a good idea to learn the difference
in the commands for insmod/rmmod/depmod/modprobe and when and why to use
each one - faking it has consequences.

Now - as for those who have only used their ipod on the proprietary OS's
with iTunes...

gtkpod is clunky and a little bit buggy but has an entirely NON-Apple
interface which I consider to be a very good thing as it gives you
access to editing tags that are hard to locate and work with on iTunes
(and I'm using iTunes Windows). iTunes is very wizard oriented and
controlled interface whereas gtkpod is a busier - sort of freeform,
highly customizable interface where the options are right in front of
you. I will make no commentary about DRM since I am fully engaged in
ripping my own cd's onto the ipod.

Craig