(WAY!) Off-topic

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 25 20:43:16 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 20:18 -0700, Jason Spatafore wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 October 2005 18:36, Craig White wrote:
> > There is no way to legally install using that CD since what is legally
> > required is the genuine Microsoft Windows certificate which accompanied
> > the CD - which would have the installation code.
>
> It's probably buried in the vast array of outdated books he purchased
> alongside the computer. Back in those days, the COA didn't come on the
> system, it came on a book with the system. It wasn't until Win98 SE that the
> actual "Per System Licensing" and "OEM" models started. (Well, Win98 B if you
> want to get a little more technical.)
>
> What I love is that M$ gets to quit supporting their product but can still
> have all rights and sue the crap out of anybody who uses it *and* get that
> person thrown in jail! But, you still have to pay for an unsupported OS....go
> figure. (This is in regards to Win9x, WinNT, and almost to Win2K soon.....)
----
OK but don't forget that 'upgrade' products require retaining the
original license/certificate
----

> I gotta say...the Open Source market surprises me. I mean, MS will make no
> warranty on their product and can sell it for $200.00 (and the EULA even
> states such)....but I've seen people try to say that OSS is dangerous because
> it carries no warranty. Isn't that a riot? :)
----
that's about knowing where one's bread gets buttered.

I guess the original thread got caught up in the legality issue which is
important in its own right but I think there is the far larger issue of
value.

The value of a computer running Windows 98 at this point is marginal at
best. The value of my time to install Windows 98 and then update it to
last best far exceeds the value of the computer that I would end up
with. The value of usability of the resultant computer with Windows 98
is less than the value of usability of the same hardware running Linux,
especially if the main application usage isn't Microsoft product.

Craig

believed to be clean.