Printer woes

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Tue Oct 18 13:41:01 MST 2005

Some months ago I purchased a Konica-Minolta magicolor 2300 DL at Fry's
(was cheap then, now even cheaper.) No, it isn't on the Linux approved
list of hardware, but it appears in the CUPS printer database. Its
drivers appear in foomatic + foo2zjs (the latter written by Rick
Richardson, specifically for Minolta printers.)

I have tried every way I could think of to install the darned thing,
without results. When I started to repeat myself I remembered that one
definition of insanity is when what you are doing doesn't produce the
desired results, you simply redouble your efforts.

I couldn't seem to install the Minolta as a USB printer, so I attempted
to install it as a local area network printer. There I was, happily
following instructions, when I succeeded in hosing most of my print system.

I have left:

a.	Advanced Faxing Tool (ksendfax)
b.	Mail PDF File
c.	Print to File (PDF)
d.	Print to File (PostScript)
e.	Send to FAX

...but no printers :-(

When I try to add a printer, I get the error message:

	An error occurred while retrieving the list of available 			backends.

	Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
installed and running.

How do I accomplish this? With Synaptic? Other methods? Where do I go
from here?
--
Bob Eaton

Curiosity didn't kill the cat: it was lack of data. RAH