Acrobat 7.01 exits immediately

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Mon Oct 17 13:34:21 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 13:27 -0700, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Current problem - I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 7.01 for Linux and
> installed it.  For some reason, acroread exits immediately when I try to
> run it, with no error messages.

Haven't experienced this myself, but this is what I would try next.
Launch acroread from a shell prompt.  It might spit out some errors on
stderr or stdout and you will see those from the command line.  Try this
as a regular user and as root, to determine if there are any permissions
problems.

Next, I would try the strace command (man strace).  I would start with
`strace -c acroread` which will print a nice summary of calls and errors
after the process exits.  If that doesn't yield a clue, try `strace -o
acroread.strace acroread` to get the full dump redirected to a file
called 'acroread.strace'.  You could spend days reading through the
resulting file.

Don't know if that helps, but it's worth a shot.

...Kevin