problem detecting ethernet card

Jay jay at kinetic.org
Mon Oct 10 19:53:07 MST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> Sooooo, I'm back to manually typing in "modprobe eepro100" then "ifup
> eth0" after reboots.
>
> Any ideas?

Is this a "real" Debian install, or is it Debian-via-some-live-CD or
something like that? I find it strange that your modules file keeps
"resetting" itself upon boot. That is the type of behavior I have seen
with some live CD distributions that have been installed to a hard drive.

You could always do some serious grep-foo through /etc/* and see if you
can find some obscure config file that is "resetting" things on reboot.
Aside from that, you can brute-force a way to make this work. The beauty
of Linux is there is more than one way to do anything:

# if [ ! -d /etc/rc.boot ]; then mkdir /etc/rc.boot; fi
# echo "modprobe eepro100" >> /etc/rc.boot/rc.local
# echo "ifup eth0" >> /etc/rc.boot/rc.local
# chmod 755 /etc/rc.boot/rc.local
# ln -s /etc/rc.boot/rc.local /etc/rc5.d/S99local

This assumes you boot into runlevel 5. You can check with the `runlevel`
command. If you boot into runlevel 2, for example, change "rc5.d" to
"rc2.d" in the last line above.

That will make the /etc/rc.boot/rc.local file, populate it with your
'modprobe eepro100' and 'ifup eth0' commands, then cause those commands to
get automatically run as the last item when the system boots.

--
~Jay