problem detecting ethernet card

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Mon Oct 10 19:12:28 MST 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 08:40 am augie kindly wrote:
> On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:20,
> plug-discuss-request at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:

> > > I've been working to get my new DSL connection working and am
> > > having trouble getting my ethernet card autodetected. It's a
> > > plain vanilla Intel chipset using the eepro100 driver. My
> > > system has the driver, but it doesn't load the module
> > > automatically. Alan figured out that if we do "modprobe
> > > eepro100" then "ifup eth0" I'll get a connection. But if we
> > > reboot, that detection/configuration is lost and has to be done
> > > all over again.

> Siri,
> I was having the same problem with my pc after I added a router and
> had to re enter my dhcp addy after every reboot until I went into
> my -->#  /etc/network/interfaces
> and added the following line up near the top 'auto eth0' near the
> line for 'auto lo' . This now makes sure that my ethernet card has
> an ip addy whenever I reboot.
> I'm running Mepis and the file I modified is further identified as
> 'configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)' since you're running
> slack...YMMV HTH

Thanks, Augie. I'm using Debian and was able to find the file. Put
"auto eth0" into it. It looked like:
----------------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
auto eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
---------------------------

Then I put "eepro100" into /etc/modules and rebooted.  It wasn't good.
I got this error message at boot:

# modprobe eepro100
# ifup eth0
/etc/network/interfaces:6: interface declared auto twice
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

My system started to hang badly and I had to reboot.

Sooooo, I'm back to manually typing in "modprobe eepro100" then "ifup
eth0" after reboots.

Any ideas?

Siri Amrit