The $100 laptop

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Mon Oct 10 01:18:26 MST 2005

The point is that nobody's going to be running anything remotely resembling Quake III on this box.  It's not targeted at the US market, but at communities where the average income is below 1 US dollar per day.  People in that environment won't have friends and neighbors running an upgraded version, the most probable scenario is similar to how cellphones are used in those communities, one person will obtain the laptop through a micro-loan program and they'll rent time on the device to the rest of the village at rates appropriate to the area (probably something like $0.10/hour).  Just about the only software likely to be run is a web browser and OpenOffice.org.

There's no reason to make a $100 laptop fixed hardware.  Any market where performance, comparison, etc... are likely to occur will also have the economic support to purchase mainstream systems at around the $300 price point.

Bad programming and bad programs have been around since ENIAC, and they'll be around for as long as we write software.  That doesn't mean anyone should make suboptimal choices in hardware, only that consumers should have the ability to choose software that's done right, and should exercise that choice.

==Joseph++