"RAID" for remote filesystems

Matt Alexander lowbassman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:03:21 MST 2005

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is possible...

Take multiple remote filesystems such as NFS, gmailfs, Samba, sshfs, and
layer a filesystem over the top to create one namespace. Ideally it would
provide some fault tolerance/redundancy and improved performance by using
the concept of RAID over the multiple connections.

In reality, this new filesystem layer wouldn't care if the filesystems are
remote or not. You could have...

/mynfsmount
/mygmailfsmount
/myothergmailfsmount
/mysshfsmount

...and then a new mount point of...

/myreallycoolmount

...and when you put files here, they're striped/mirrored over all the
previous mounts.

Is this currently possible? If not, then perhaps I'll see if I can make it
happen in my minuscule free time. I know there are a ton of potential
problems with this, but it'd be a fun project nonetheless.
Thanks,
~M