Executable confusion!

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Wed Oct 5 06:59:16 MST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:56:24PM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I'm still confused.  Shouldn't the $PATH specify the order in which
> commands are searched for?  There must be some other shell configuration
> that redirects to /usr/bin first.

As Kenneth said, it may be an alias hanging around.  (I'd use "type"
instead of "which --all" to verify, since the former is a bash builtin.)

Also try starting a new shell.  Login to another VC, launch another
xterm, or just run "exec /bin/bash --login" in a running shell (after
making sure you have no jobs suspended or running in the background).  I
could be off here, but I suspect that the problem may lie with the way
bash will cache the location of commands that have been run.

$ type vim
vim is /usr/bin/vim
$ vim
:q
$ type vim
vim is hashed (/usr/bin/vim)
$

It *ought* to notice that there's a new command in the search path
before the old one and execute that instead, but I've noticed funkiness
before.  Try it from a new shell.  Alternatively, I suppose you could
try the "hash" command; it's another builtin, so see bash(1) for
details.  I've never used it, though.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step