Treo 650

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 4 17:49:09 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:40 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White said:
> > Not getting much help on Fedora list
> >
> > Fedora Core 3
> >
> > My Kyocera 7135 died - Verizon, believe it or not, replaced my 2 year
> > old Kyocera with a Treo 650 (w/ camera) for free. Can't sync with my
> > computer though...I have tried with jpilot (normally very easy), pilot-
> > xfer (I figure if I can make this work, I can make gpilotd work).
> >
> > $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
> > BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="iPod            ", KERNEL="sdp2", NAME="%k",
> > SYMLINK="ipod"
> >
> > BUS="usb-serial",ID="ttyUSB1",NAME="%k",SYMLINK="pilot",MODE="0666"
> >
> > I press the hotsync button...
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
> > crw-rw----  1 root  uucp 188, 0 Oct  4 17:20 /dev/ttyUSB0
> > crw-------  1 craig uucp 188, 1 Oct  4 17:20 /dev/ttyUSB1
> >
> > [craig at lin-workstation ~]$ ls -l /dev/pilot
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 Oct  4 17:20 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1
> >
> > so far so good...
> >
> > $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -L
> >

> >    Listening to port: /dev/pilot
> >
> >    Please press the HotSync button now...
> >    Error accepting data on /dev/pilot
> >
> > Anyone have suggestions?
> >
> > Craig
>
> I'll have to check my notes at home.  I am going through this with my
> wife's Palm M130.  My search came down to a list of supported Palm devices
> in a driver or config file somewhere.  One person had to add their device
> to the list in order for it to work.  That's where I quit for the night a
> week or so ago.
>
> [rant]
> I like Fedora, really.  But, from FC2 on sync with palm devices has been a
> broken pain.  It's like they broke it with UDEV and other stuff and no one
> knows or cares.  I don't know where in the chain it breaks.  I spent more
> than an hour in the #fedora chat with two seemingly knowledgable people
> trying to solve my above issue and they were stumped as I was.  USB "sees"
> the device, stuff gets generated by UDEV, sync fails.  Argh!
> [/rant]
>
> Maybe between the two of us we can get it to work.  I'll look at it again
> when I get home.
>
> All input from others is very welcome since I am struggling with this too.
----
that's sort of a worthless rant since FC-2 was the early 2.6 kernel and
udev really changed as the 2.6 kernel has matured. So yes, of course
they broke things in udev but that is the point of going forward. The
last thing is the devices which obviously need to be added - not only
covered in udev-rules but also in gpilot-devices

I got fairly well educated in this with my Kyocera 7135 and it made
sense. I got pretty far with the Treo 650 but I don't understand the
error.

Craig

believed to be clean.