OT: new car advice

shadow shadow at digitalnirvana.com
Mon Nov 28 11:42:13 MST 2005

Robert N. Eaton wrote:

> How about electrolysis (is that the word I want?) of H2O powered by
> solar cells?

Electrolysis of water with electricity from renewable sources is the
preferred clean method for Hydrogen production.  The problem has been
the total energy cycle cost.

In order to compare the price of gasoline to H2 from electrolysis, I
will use BTUs (i.e. British Thermal Units) because every energy resource
can be measured on a BTU basis.  A kilowatt hour of electricity has
3,412 BTUs, and assuming an electrolyzer efficiency of 80%, roughly 45
kilowatt hours of electricity will be needed to make the same energy
contained in a gallon of gasoline.

Now if you assume that 1/2 of the price of transportation fuel is
earmarked for distribution, taxes and markup, we are left with gasoline
at ~1.00 per gallon.  Dividing this by 45KWh, we will need an
electricity at ~2.22 cents per KWh to be competitive.  Currently the
only electricity source that can hit this price point reliably is
hydroelectric.

New H2 production techniques other than electrolysis are under
development to split water, but I fear that none of them will see
commercial deployment for 10-15 years.  The only way that we will see
economical Solar-H2 at the pump is if it is subsidized.

> By the way, do you know the calories per kilogram of gasoline vs. the
> calories per kilogram of hydrogen?  Will the average hydrogen
> powered vehicle have room enough for the spherical or cylindrical
> with hemispherical ends tank (It must be one or the other, mustn't
> it?) to give it a realistic cruising range?

Using a conventional combustion engine and mid-pressure tanks (~5,000
PSI) your range would be about 200 miles.  If you replace the combustion
engine with a fuel cell and electric drive train your range increases to
~300 miles.  Other alternatives to storage, such as using Liquid H2,
will give you a range comparable to gasoline cars, but they are either
too expensive or not suitable for mass consumption.

> Damn, I ask a lot of questions :-).

Who questions much, shall learn much, and retain much.
      - Sir Francis Bacon

--
Chris Lewis
shadow at digitalnirvana.com

"System Administrators are the Marines
of the business world.  We are the first
into the fight ready at a moments notice
day or night."

Hell's Admins - Bourne to Code
http://www.hellsadmins.com