Linux on HP ZV6201 [WAS: Re: Plug installfest ?]

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Sat Nov 26 11:10:58 MST 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 10:15, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Thanks, Josh ...
>
> The laptop on which I want to install Linux is an hp pavilion
> model #zv6201cl from Costco.  Of course, it is returnable if it
> doesn't turn out to be satisfactory with Linux  ;))

Linux on Laptops shows the ZV6000 is supported.  You may have to use NDIS
wrappers for the wifi if you have a Broadcom chip.

<SNIP>

> My objective is to have Linux as my main operating system with Win4Lin
> so I can run win98 as a task under Linux for the few win apps that I still
> use until I can get up to speed on Linux alternatives -- mainly Pagemaker
> and Paint Shop Pro.

Well, you can replace PageMaker with either OpenOffice or Scribus right now
and GIMP will easily replace Paint Shop Pro.

> Since it came with Win XP (which I do not really want), I'll probably
> set it up as a dual (or multiple) boot rather than just reformatting to
> eliminate XP entirely.

Any of the distros you mentions should resize the WinXP partition with no
problem.

<SNIP>.

> I just do not want something that I'll have to endlessly update or
> continuously tinker with.

Well, you will be constantly updating any distro you install with security
patches, etc.  SUSE with YOU (Yast Online Update) makes this very easy.

Dennisk
--
Phoenix Linux Users Group
"Penguins in the Desert"