DHCP vs Static inside Home network

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Wed Nov 23 11:44:00 MST 2005

Thanks to all who replied.

Alex Dean wrote:
> ... by keeping DHCP running, you make it easy for
> guests who bring over laptops to join your network.

Oops, I hadn't thought of that!
I was just thinking of the two boxes that live here.
We do occasionally have visitors who plug in.

I don't think my off-brand router lets me reserve
IPs under the DHCP service, and it does change the
assignments ... Our XP box lost Samba workgroup
contact with the Linux box because the latter
apparently moved to 192.168.1.24 which ZoneAlarm
did not have as a trusted IP.  (Does the free
version of ZoneAlarm accept 192.168.1.* in the
local network definition?)

Vic