Last chance failover

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sun Nov 20 16:46:35 MST 2005

On Nov 20, 2005, at 12:27 AM, Kevin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:11 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>> I read up a bit on NIC bonding or teaming and I like the fact that it
>> presents a unified front-end to the sockets so if one NIC goes down,
>> no socket connections need to be broken.  However, bonding treats
>> both NICs as equals and sends packets round-robin.  I don't want the
>> wireless eth1 to be used at all unless it absolutely has to.  So
>> bonding/teaming is out.
>
> Hi Kurt,
> Give this another look.  Bonding and Teaming are slightly different.
> Teaming is exactly what you are asking for.  Basically, you configure
> them the same way, but use "mode=1" for "Active/Standby" instead of
> the
> default "mode=0" which is "Round-Robin".

Thank you for the tip!  Teaming with active/standby is EXACTLY what I
was
looking for :-)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in my situation.  My secondary NIC is
a USB
wireless card and when I do the 'ifenslave bond0 eth0 wlan0', the wlan0
device goes down in a sea of /var/log/messages error messages.  For
whatever reason, the act of bonding the wlan0 device will take it out
completely.

I wonder if at this point it would make sense to get a different
computer to
use as a server.. one that has dual NICs and then just get one of those
standalone ethernet-to-wireless devices (forgetting the term).

Thanks again for the pointers,
Kurt