idiot newbie needs help

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 23:26:19 MST 2005

> hi.  my name is rich and right now i'm running fedora
> core 1 with no problems.    i tried ubuntu but had
> internet problems.  i could connect to some sights,
> linux-noob, ubuntu, ubuntu forums, but couldn't get
> through to yahoo or google or iwon.com.  my isp says
> it's a firewall problem and i know i'm running a
> firewall because ubuntu installation asked if i wanted
> to enable it and i clicked yes.  i just don't know how
> to get to it.  any ideas?

Someone else will probably know more about Ubuntu, I haven't used it. but the
firewall is almost certainly started from an rc script.  These are in
/etc/rc.d/init.d or similar.  There is probably a firewall configuration
utility somewhere in the menu, assuming you have gnome or kde running.  You
could also look in the system messages to see if the firewall logs packets
that it doesn't like.  This is in /var/log/messages on Redhat and
derivatives, I don't know where on Ubuntu, but probably similar.  Sorry I'm
not more help, haven't used that distro...