The $100 laptop

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 10:18:36 MST 2005

--- Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at linuxquestions.net> wrote:

> On Friday 18 November 2005 06:18, KE7FEG wrote:
> > Don't flame me, but from a purely dummie
> persective, I
> > had rather use windows as many games/etc wont run
> on a
> > linux machine, BUT, and that is about 40 feet high
> > letters, I agree totally and will avoid the
> redmond
> > terrorist as much as possible!!
>
> No flame, but this laptop isn't designed for you.
> It's designed to teach kids
> how to learn.  *NOT* what to learn. like Math,
> Science, etc.  but just to
> have the opportunity to learn how to learn.
>
> These Third World kids don't have your "Windows
> bias", in fact, they have
> never used or even seen a computer.
>
> An eye opener (from the Q&A session at 58 min.) is
> that when kids in Thailand
> took home a laptop for the first time, the family
> gathered around it because
> it was the brightest light source in the house.
> Think about that for a
> minute.
>
> Maine has required students to have a for two years
> (I think) now and
> absenteeism has gone down, parent-teacher
> co-operation has gone up and the
> kids are more interested in learning.
>
> Open Source/Free software is a powerful enabler.
>
> Dennisk

/////////////////

//// Bottom posted 'the better way', that is, with a
'split' so it is easy to find the start! That is what
is best, those that don't split their reply with some
flag, even 3 or more enters/returns, make it easy to
have to hunt for the start of the re when bottom
posting and I, personally consider it lazyness!

Now back to the subject of the re.

I was just mentioning the total newbie ease of use of
a windows machine, not that it is the best os, just
that you don't have two 'systems' to learn, the gui
AND the CLI, that was all.

I agree, Open Source/Fee software is totally better.

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.