The $100 laptop

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 06:18:04 MST 2005

Don't flame me, but from a purely dummie persective, I
had rather use windows as many games/etc wont run on a
linux machine, BUT, and that is about 40 feet high
letters, I agree totally and will avoid the redmond
terrorist as much as possible!!

I don't have any terrorist os's on my machines now!!

--- Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at linuxquestions.net> wrote:

> Did you see the annoucement on Wednesday about the
> One Laptop Per Child
> project (http://laptop.media.mit.edu/news.html)
> makde at the World Summit on
> the Information Society in Tunisia?
>
> Check out the webcast on the site, especially the
> Q&A with Nicholas
> Negroponte.
>
> The laptop will depend on Free/Open Source Software
> to keep the cost down, of
> course, but what I find more interesting is that it
> is really an enabling
> technology that let's projects like this happen.
>
> One goal of the project is to have the OS available
> in every native language
> spoken by the user.  And already they have groups
> stepping forward to do the
> translations.  This could never happen with a big
> corporation like M$ that is
> focused on the bottom line.  "Sorry, we can offer
> Windows in your language.
> It would cost us too much to translate it and no we
> won't give you access to
> do it yourself or, yes, you can do it but we will
> charge you $$$ and please
> sign this EULA first.  We'll own your code."
>
> Dennisk

Don't flame me, but from a purely dummie persective, I
had rather use windows as many games/etc wont run on a
linux machine, BUT, and that is about 40 feet high
letters, I agree totally and will avoid the redmond
terrorist as much as possible!!

I don't have any terrorist os's on my machines now!!

And to pleae the bottom posters! Hehehehe.

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.