The $100 laptop

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Fri Nov 18 05:52:41 MST 2005

Did you see the annoucement on Wednesday about the One Laptop Per Child
project (http://laptop.media.mit.edu/news.html) makde at the World Summit on
the Information Society in Tunisia?

Check out the webcast on the site, especially the Q&A with Nicholas
Negroponte.

The laptop will depend on Free/Open Source Software to keep the cost down, of
course, but what I find more interesting is that it is really an enabling
technology that let's projects like this happen.

One goal of the project is to have the OS available in every native language
spoken by the user.  And already they have groups stepping forward to do the
translations.  This could never happen with a big corporation like M$ that is
focused on the bottom line.  "Sorry, we can offer Windows in your language.
It would cost us too much to translate it and no we won't give you access to
do it yourself or, yes, you can do it but we will charge you $$$ and please
sign this EULA first.  We'll own your code."

Dennisk