Reply-To vs. List-Post

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Nov 17 18:41:53 MST 2005

Am 17. Nov, 2005 schwätzte June Tate-Gans so:

> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:38 -0800, Lyndon Tiu wrote:
>> If der.hans makes the same "reply to all" click, then that would be good for everyone : >
>
> That's just it, though. I right-clicked on the message and chose "Reply
> To Sender" not "Reply To All" -- I actually took about a second's worth
> of time out to think about which one was the one I wanted, which is why
> I remember it clearly. Unfortunately, I just assumed that Evolution --
> being an email client that gets quite a lot of use on this list -- would
> respond properly and didn't bother checking the To field (shame on me
> =op).
>
> Isn't the whole purpose of the Reply-To header one of helping email
> replies get to an address that is not normally routable from the rest of
> the public 'net? If so, why are we using Reply-To instead of just using
> List-Post and friends and leaving Reply-To off of the headers (unless
> explicitly requested by a poster)?

Normally we want to encourage replying to the list for the discuss list.

We munge the reply-to because at the time the lists were originally setup
mutt was the only MUA that supported reply-to-sender and reply-to-list
seperation.

Maybe it's time to survey that again.

ciao,

der.hans