Google, sysadm and glocks

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Thu Nov 17 18:18:16 MST 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:25:33AM -0700, Ben Browning wrote:
>> The K in KDE may well stand for "kludged" though ;)
>
> I know you're joking around, but it originally stood for "kool".  (I
> believe that today it is officially just "K", but I could be wrong.)
>
> Here's an HTML-ized version of the original Usenet post:
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/announcement.php

Yeah, you are right that the K doesn't stand for anything.
Officially, it never did.  Now I say that even with the link to the
original USENET post listed above :-)

Basically, Matthias wanted it to be called KDE in an obvious play on
CDE.  This is even more understandable when you realize that many
words that are spelled with a 'C' in English are spelled with a 'K'
in German.  So he randomly picked 'Kool' for the announcement.  A few
days after that announcement, Matthias met with Martin and Kalle and
a few others at the university and one of the first things they
decided on was to drop the 'Kool' part of the name and just keep it a K.

So while the original announcement did have 'Kool', there has never
been one single line of code written for KDE under that name.  For
all extents and purposes, any part of KDE that was released as KDE
did so with a meaningless K.

As a slight digression, there is a tip in the KDE Tip of the Day that
says something about it being after L or meaning something in Czech
or whatever.  I don't remember.  In any event, I think Kalle entered
that tip as a joke and it stuck for some reason.  It's not even
remotely true, though.

Just a little random equally meaningless history :-)

Former KDE Evangelist,
Kurt