Media Server

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Wed Nov 16 11:18:12 MST 2005

Craig Brooksby wrote:

>Here's a newbie question:
>
>I installed slimserver on my Mepis box, and am able to stream MP3s to
>other computers on my home network, on port 9000.  Very slick.
>(http://slimdevices.com/)
>
>Naturally, I want to play my music at work.  I am a Cox customer.  My
>media player should be able to connect to http://my.ip.add.ress:9000
>from my office desktop -- right?  Can't do it.

I assume you are using some type of firewall?  If that box is the
firewall you would need to enable port 9000.  If you are using a
router/firewall/combo type of hardware you need to configure it to do
port forwarding on port 9000 to the machine where slimserver resides.
If you don't have some form of firewall.  Remove your ethernet cable or
disable your wireless card until you do. :)

>I know I'm on DHCP.  As long as my Mepis box is running, it should
>hold onto that IP address.  Right?

Generally they don't renew very often, but it is possible so something
like dydns is probably a good choice.

>I suppose this means my office, or Cox, or both, have that port
>blocked?  Or am I just stumbling in the dark?
>
>If anyone else has installed slipserver, or has other insight, please chime in.

You might want to check your employer's policy on streaming content to
your desktop.  Most employers disallow it because it is a tax on bandwidth.

--
Derek Neighbors
Integrum Technologies