OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Nov 7 15:13:15 MST 2005

Am 07. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Technomage so:

> On Monday 07 November 2005 12:20, der.hans wrote:
>

>> Do you need a new code because the old one no longer works or because the
>> rootkit interfered and you don't know what the old one was?
>
> the old one no longer works. its something freedom scientific does with their
> product on the cd causes this. after three reinstalls, it disables the old
> code and you have to "purchase" a new one.

OK.

> since I had reinstalled windows on that box twice before over the last few
> years, I was about due. I did not, however, expect to have to do so on
> account of a DRM routine from sony (and yes, I have submitted to them a bill
> for this).

Good.

>> Would the attorney general or some other office be able to help? Dunno if
>> this qualifies as going against the disabilities act, but you'd think at
>> least Sony PR would not want the appearance of having gone against it.
>>

> I am researching this right now. I did file a complaint with the Az Attorney
> General's Office here. so far, no response (as yet).

Good luck in getting a favorable response from Sony and the atty general.
Goddard recently announced opening a satellite office at ASU ( and plans
for other campuses ) in part to help stop computer crime. Maybe contact
that office.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
# To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember