OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Mon Nov 7 14:20:03 MST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 12:20, der.hans wrote:

> Do you need a new code because the old one no longer works or because the
> rootkit interfered and you don't know what the old one was?

the old one no longer works. its something freedom scientific does with their
product on the cd causes this. after three reinstalls, it disables the old
code and you have to "purchase" a new one.

since I had reinstalled windows on that box twice before over the last few
years, I was about due. I did not, however, expect to have to do so on
account of a DRM routine from sony (and yes, I have submitted to them a bill
for this).

> Would the attorney general or some other office be able to help? Dunno if
> this qualifies as going against the disabilities act, but you'd think at
> least Sony PR would not want the appearance of having gone against it.

I am researching this right now. I did file a complaint with the Az Attorney
General's Office here. so far, no response (as yet).

meanwhile, life marches on.