dhcpcd and /etc/resolv.conf

Lyndon Tiu ltiu at alumni.sfu.ca
Fri Nov 4 18:27:59 MST 2005

Hello,

I have researched on google and I could not find an answer to my question:

How do I configure dhcpcd NOT to overwrite /etc/resolve?

To solve the above problem. I did a hack. I created a small partition. Mounted it read-write. Created a resolv.conf file in it, with the dns info I want. Then, I unmounted the partition and remounted it read-only. Then I created a link from /etc/resolv.conf to the resolv.conf located in the read-only partition. With this setup, I cannot write to the resolv.conf file since it is in a read-only partition.

Guess what, dhdpcd deletes the soft link and creates a new resolv.conf in it's place after a few minutes. It seems that dhcpcd polls the resolv.conf file and regularly overwrites it.

I wonder how I can prevent dhcpcd from overwriting resolv.conf?

Thanks for any tips.

--
Lyndon Tiu