firefox update

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 14:20:36 MST 2005

--- Hap Hap <happeninghap at gmail.com> wrote:

> new thread......it's top and bottom so far : )
>
> I want to update firefox1.0.3 in linix Mepis. I
> downloaded some newer
> versions. I've been reading lots of tutorials for
> newbies and have not
> found my problem. My question is..... Do I need to
> remove the the
> 1.0.3 virsion before I  gzip -d ????
>
> I'm willing to seek the info myself but can't figure
> out the correct serch term.
>

> --
> Hap McDaniel

Mepis is good. Synaptic is even better, which is
included in the Mepis base. You should check in there
first. By default, there is a launcher for Synaptic on
the KDE bar. I think you'll have to refresh the
repositories to make sure it's got the most recent
list of packages. I believe the apt package is
mozilla-firefox. And this indicates 1.0.7 is available
for Mepis:
http://www.mepis.org/node/8016

If Firefox 1.0.7 is not there, and it should be, then
try http://www.mepislovers.org/. There is a forum
where you can ask what to do.

Firefox is one of the things I try to stick with
package managed install so it's easy to keep updated.
So I don't personally recommend installing from
source, but there's no reason you couldn't do it.