Remote audio monitoring

Ben Browning plug at emptiedout.com
Wed Jul 27 15:50:37 MST 2005

Kevin wrote:
> Not exactly an open source project, but here is a single device that
> will stream live audio/video directly to a web browser.  It also uses
> motion detection (probably pixel shift detection) to send you clips of
> action via email.  My colleague is using it to monitor his house
> remotely.  Seems to work very well.  I was impressed with the video
> resolution and the motion detection alerts via email.
>
> Of course, making it safely accessible from the Internet would require
> careful application of SSH tunneling or similar, but that's easy.

The "motion" project does that with any webcam. It takes jpg snaps every
.x second while there is motion in the frame and for y seconds after. It
also strings them together into MPGs.

it has tons of cool options, including "masking" so if you want to watch
your back yard and there's a little bit of sidewalk/road/whatever in the
frame you can give it a PNG mask and it will ignore motion in that area.

As for audio, I don't know, but I have been thinking about the same
thing so I can make a linux-based baby monitos. I flit around the house
with my laptop and wifi (outside to smoke, on the couch, etc) and it
seems silly to waste batteries on the baby monitor when I could probably
do the same thing with a computer ;)

~Ben
--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.