open source security courseware?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jul 26 15:50:37 MST 2005

Does anyone know of any open source security courseware?

I know that "security" is a skill that should be taught for all sysadmin
tasks, but I am looking for free to commercially use and modify and
distribute courseware that focuses on security techniques and security
tools for Linux (and *BSD and generic).

Some google searches didn't find any open source security courseware. (I
have found and reviewed a few open source sysadmin coursewares.)

Some open source security books include:

Prentice Hall publishes "Open Source Security Tools: Practical
Applications for Security" by Tony Howlett which is Copyright  2005
Pearson Education, Inc. and distributed under the Open Publication
License.  http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

"Securing & Optimizing Linux: The Ultimate Solution" (version 2) by
Gerhard Mourani and Open Network Architecture, Inc., also uses the Open
Publication License. I don't know what the license is for their more
recent book.

"Linux Administrator's Security Guide" by Kurt Seifried is not a really a
book anymore and is available as a series of webpages. It is open source
but the license may be too restrictive.

Plus there are the security guides from FreeBSD, Debian and Gentoo that
are open source.

Anyone interested in helping with creating actual courseware covering
Linux security?

Basically the differences between this and a normal book or guide are:

- broken down into manageable lessons
- lessons have clearly defined learning objectives or lesson goals
- lessons provide information like a normal book
- lessons provide examples
- lessons provide tasks and practice exercises
- does not have to cover everything as it can point to other relevant
   documentation and/or the instructor can provide information

If you'd like to assist, please let me know. I am working on it in LyX
(which I have used for other courseware). I will setup a CVS if needed.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/