i386 vs i686 was Configured kernel source code ... What is it

G Gambill ggambill at emr.net
Thu Jul 14 13:04:34 MST 2005

> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:57:44 -0700
> From: "Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net>
> Subject: Re: i386 vs i686 was Configured kernel source code ... What
> 	is it
>
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 11:27 -0700, G Gambill wrote:
> >
> >>Chasing down the CentOS 4 USB WiFi thing I found (on the
> laptop) a dir/file:
> >>
> >>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-hugemem-i686
> >>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-i686
> >>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-smp-i686
> >>
> >>I am fairly sure the Laptop in question is a Pentium III
> (WinBook XL3).  I
> >>have always used the i386 flavor.
> >>
> >>I ran a locate -u followed by locate 0.3.EL   and it finds only i686 (no
> >>i386).
> >>
> >>Question, do I care?  It seems to run without problems.
> >>
> >>I have downloaded the i386 source.
> >>
> >>Should I consider compiling the i386 kernel?
> >
> > ----
> > I still think...
> >
> > 1 - you don't need to compile a kernel, only the module. Every time you
> > want to upgrade kernel, you are gonna have to relive the experience.
>
> True. You probably need the kernel (source) headers though, and may need
> to recompile the wireless driver, depending on if the relevant headers
> have changed.
>

> > 2 - that getting a USB wifi device working is hard work, you're gonna
> > need to hack udev stuff as well.
>
> So I've heard, although I haven't done so myself.
>
> > 3 - laptop uses pcmcia cards and there are several which use Prism or
> > Orinoco chip sets which just work out of the box.
>
> That would definitely be the easiest route.
>
> > Craig

Thanks for the feed back.  I am still somewhat in a fog.

I have chased the PCMCIA rainbow for several weeks now.  Haven't found one
in my price range.

Then I found http://linux_wless.passys.nl/AirLink_Tech.html

I already have an Airlink AWLL3025/NA (USB) which I believe uses the ZyDAS
ZD1211 chip.

I plugged it in and booted.  Nothing to talk about.

In hopes it will help, I include the entire 2 page README associated with
the sf_zd1211_20050315_src.tar.gz download

*****************
README
ZD1211 - linux driver for ZyDAS ZD1211 based USB 2.0 WLAN adapters
Reqirements:
------------
- Kernel 2.4.x. I am developing the driver on 2.4.24, but it
reportedly also works on 2.4.x. If your kernels version is less than
2.4.22 (for example Red Hat 9.0 is 2.4.20-8), suggest to upgrade kernel
for better support on USB 2.0.
- Kernel 2.6.x. This driver has been verify on 2.6.6 and 2.6.7.
- To build zd1211 you will need: Configured kernel source code for the
kernel you are running. Ideally, Configured means that you have at
least run 'make config', 'make menuconfig', or 'make xconfig'. If your
platform is not SMP system, please don't config SMP supported, because
when module loaded, this will make unresolved symbol..
- Make sure your kernel usb 2.0 support is running
- Use lsmod to check "ehci-hcd" module is loaded.
- If host is not support usb 2.0, zd1211 will run under pure-b mode.
Building zd1211:
------------
1) untar the package using the command:
tar zxvf zd1211-XXXX.tar.gz
2) cd into the new directory and use "make" and "make install"
to make and install driver.
Be sure to have your configured kernel source at /usr/src/linux
or type make KSRC=[my kernel], replacing [my kernel] with the
directory the kernel you want the driver to be compiled for.
Running:
--------
- If you have hotplug installed, the drivers should now be loaded. If not,
load them by hand: modprobe -v zd1211
(or Under zd1211-XXXX/zdsta directory use "insmod zd1211.o" for kernel
2.4.x,
"insmod zd1211.ko" for kernel 2.6.x)
- Check if the modules are loaded with lsmod. It should look like this:
zd1211 183576 0 (unused)
- Run 'ifconfig <iface> <your IP address>'
- Run 'iwconfig <iface> ' to configure the wireless setting, here are
some examples, more detail information please check with 'man iwconfig'.
Example:
iwconfig <iface> essid "My Network" //Set essid
iwconfig <iface> channel 1 //Set channel
iwconfig <iface> mode Managed (Station mode) //Set operation mode
iwconfig <iface> mode Ad-Hoc (Ah-Hoc mode)
iwconfig <iface> rts 512 //Set rts threshold
iwconfig <iface> frag 512 //Set fragment threshold
iwconfig <iface> key s:password [2] //Set encryption key
iwconfig <iface> power on/off //Set power-save mode
Private Parameters:
------------------
In addition to the parameters of iwconfig, some can be set by iwpriv:
- open system authentication: iwpriv <iface> set_auth 0
- shared key authentication: iwpriv <iface> set_auth 1
Be aware that shared key authentication requires a WEP key.
- long preamble: iwpriv <iface> set_preamble 0
- short preamble: iwpriv <iface> set_preamble 1
- iwpriv <iface> get_preamble //will display the current preamble type
- List current BSS information:iwpriv <iface> list_bss
You can use "dmesg" to check the result.
Note:
----
Page 1
README
- You can modify the script file "sta" to enable Station function.
"sta en" Enable STA function
"sta dis" Disable STA function
- I have tested the driver under Red-Hat 9.0, It's unstable than kernel
2.4.24.
So please update the kernel.
Version:
--------
-5000
- a lot of code cleanups
- Support kernel 2.6.10
- Support Big Endian architectures (experimental)
- new cleaner Makefile
-4715
-Support kernel 2.6.x
-Fixed bug: DHCP will hard to get IP problem.
-Support iwpriv command
iwpriv <iface> set_mac_mode mac_mode //1: Mixed Mode
//2: Pure G Mode
//3: Pure B Mode
iwpriv <iface> get_mac_mode //display current Mac Mode
-4630
-Fixed Ad-Hoc mode can't work problem.
-Support Roamming.
-Support iwlist <iface> scan(ning) command.
-Support iwpriv command
iwpriv <iface> connect cell_number //the cell_number can be get
//from the result of
//iwlist <iface> scan(ning) command
iwpriv <iface> dbg_flag //set debug level, default is 0
-Fiexd Chairot multicast can't work problem.
-Fixed Ack timeout problem.
-4621
-First release version.
-WPA, 802.1X with dynamic key exchange are not supported.
-Watchdog function was not fully implementated.
-Apdbg.c provides basic debug command for driver development.
-Airoha RF chip is not verified.
-Support basic wireless extension setting.
-Fixed iwconfig will show wrong essid information.
-Roaming is not fully verified.
Known Bugs: