OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Jason Spatafore jason at spatafore.net
Wed Jul 13 20:04:09 MST 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 16:32, Ted Gould wrote:
>  While
> I understand that the MPAA and RIAA haven't proven that yet, I welcome
> them to come to my door.  As someone who has never downloaded
> copyrighted content that I don't have permission to download, I would
> love to establish legal precedence against them.

Just to touch on something here....

Do you even know the cost of fighting such a case? Do you? The cost is *at
least* $50,000. You would pay $50,000 to set a legal precedence in which you
will *never* get your money reimbursed?

Don't forget that you'll need to travel to San Francisco just to protect your
rights. You'll have to request numerous days off and beg a judge to not lock
you up before trial. You'll have to deal with the press knocking on your door
and asking questions, while you're told to keep your damn mouth shut by your
lawyers, if you were able to get a lawyer.

No, what you *will* end up doing is shutting your damn mouth, taking a guilty
plea, and hope that you'll be able to get a job for the rest of your life
because there's no way in hell you're going to mortgage your house for a
chance to change the law. And there's no damn lawyer out there who will help
you for less-than a $10,000 retainer.

Been there, done that.
--
Sincerely,