OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

slegge at govliquidation.com slegge at govliquidation.com
Wed Jul 13 16:06:44 MST 2005

Can I come over and run my favorite p2p client and grab some free movies
and music ? The MPAA and RIAA wont mind... If they do you say what no
other criminal has ever said before "IT WASNT ME HONEST!" The rest of the
world isnt open sourced... This guy was more than likely doing something
shady otherwise what cop would arrest based on something like getting
mapquest directions or checking his email???

-Scott

Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx>
Sent by: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
07/13/2005 02:39 PM
Please respond to
Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>

Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
cc

Subject
Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Donn wrote:
> On 7/13/05, *Ted Gould* <ted at gould.cx <mailto:ted at gould.cx>> wrote:
>
>     I guess I get tired of the phrase "people who have open WAPs are
lazy or
>     stupid".  I have a WAP, it is open.  I know how to configure it.  I
>     choose to leave it open.  I haven't had any issues.
>
>                     --Ted
 >
> So, do you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it too? Your choice.

No, and perhaps that's the misunderstanding:

"free software" is to "free hardware"

                 - as -

"free Wifi" is to "free car"

If you use my Wifi, there is no additional cost to me.  If you take my
car, I would have to buy another.  This is the same as software
requiring no cost to replicate versus hardware which does.

                                 --Ted