Configured kernel source code ... What is it

G Gambill ggambill at emr.net
Tue Jul 12 16:46:09 MST 2005

What does "Configured kernel source code" mean?

I am wanting to install the drivers for Airlink USB WiFi Adapter (ZyDAS
ZD1211) on a Centos 4 box and the instructions contain the following
paragraph.

- To build zd1211 you will need: Configured kernel source code for the
kernel you are running. Ideally, Configured means that you have at
least run 'make config', 'make menuconfig', or 'make xconfig'. If your
platform is not SMP system, please don't config SMP supported, because
when module loaded, this will make unresolved symbol..

Could someone explain "Configured kernel source code for the
kernel you are running" in english?

When I loaded CentOS we never used CD 4, I suspect that might be the source
CD.

Help!!!

TIA

George