samba sort of off topic

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Fri Jul 8 13:05:29 MST 2005

Sean Roe wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>This is sort off of topic, but here goes.  I just inherited a samba pdc
>based local network with roaming profiles enabled.  It seems that the
>roaming profiles was implemented badly and I have been instructed to
>remove them from the installation as no one moves around here.  I found in
>the samba package a registry file called Win-2Kx-XPP-ForceLocalProfile.reg
>so I am going to install the registry entry on each of the winblows boxes
>and that should kill the roving profiles correct?  Any help would be
>great.
>
>Thanks,
>Sean

Well, posting the contents of that reg file would tell us for sure that
it was going to enable local profiles. But most likely yes, that is the
file that makes the change to the registry to disable that feature. You
can also switch that on by using the policy editor or you can do it at
the server.

But what do you mean by implemented badly? Is it just because it is slow
to reboot a client since it syncs up the profiles with the users home
profile on linux? If they have a ton of stuff in their profiles it's
always going to be slow moving it acrost the network. But on the other
side, it leaves an easy way to keep the users data backed up all from
one place. It isn't just for roaming.

-Mike