Rsh works one direction

Roderick Ford r.ford at cox.net
Sat Dec 31 19:22:06 MST 2005

Okay Darrin,
I do have a question for you.
Is rsh bad for security on an internal LAN if the members of the LAN are
fully trusted?

The situation is this: I use ssh as my PVM_RSH already for the Linux
boxes, but am trying to pull in the childrens' Windows (please excuse the
bad language) boxes using PVM3.4.  So if my 5 year oldest child wants to
hack into my internal boxes via the insecurities of RSH, then I will
encourage him to do so at my expense, for his experience.  However, behind
my firewall that gives me some sense of security, is rsh still a external
network risk?

Rod