Rsh works one direction

Roderick Ford r.ford at cox.net
Sat Dec 31 19:09:53 MST 2005

M wrote:
> Some things to verify before troubleshooting further...
> .rhosts for each user has the IP of the connecting box.
Yes, both sides.

> /etc/securetty has an entry for rsh (and also rlogin and rexec, if
> needed)
Okay, didn't know about this. So, securetty needs a single line listing
rsh?
Looking at /etc/pam.d/rsh, there is a note about "For root login to
succeed...",
but I don't need to allow root rsh.  Anyway, the /etc/pam.d/rsh and the
/etc/securetty on frogger both match their equal on www machine.

> The rsh-server package is installed.
Yes, wasn't earlier before I started this thread, so I know it is now.
Double checked...yup:
*:shell  LISTEN

> rsh is enabled under xinetd and xinetd is running.
yes.

> You might also want to change your path so /usr/bin/rsh is called before
> the kerberized version to avoid the kerberos errors.
> ~M
Okay, will do.