local pc deals

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 13:39:26 MST 2005

--- FoulDragon at aol.com wrote:

> Fry's *usually* has a house-brand ("Great Quality")
> box for between 150 and
> 250 USD; if you can hold off til tomorrow, you can
> check their big circular in
> the Republic.
>
> It's frequently a Sempron (probably the old AthlonXP
> type, not the Athlon64
> type), like 256M of memory, and a CD reader.
>
> What parts do you need specifically?  You might be
> able to do better getting
> like whatever CPU-mainboard pair they have on
> special for like 100-130
> dollars, and just throwing half a gig of RAM on it
> (total cost about 150-180 dollars,
> and you can buy a QUALITY power supply, which you
> may not get with a cheap
> OEM box.)

i'd need a cpu w/fan & mboard but that could lead me
to needing RAM and a new case. I figured I could get a
decent cheap machine and upgrade as needed. The PSU I
have is decent and I could put that in. The CompUSA
emachines has a 64 bit sempron 3100, double layere dvd
writer. don't know what mboard it has.

Shin zen ni rei
-j
Registered Linux user number 403109