Switching Console Mode

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Wed Dec 21 14:25:44 MST 2005

I am irritated with CentOS changing my console mode from 132 x 60 as specified in my kernel parameters to something like 132 x 30.  I disabled "setsysfont" in rc.sysinit, and turned off the Red Hat Graphical Boot, both of which seemed to have this effect, but there's still something messing with my console.

DOS had a simple "mode" command that would switch the screen mode on the fly.  I know Linux has no such simple tool, but is there something I can do after the fact to get the console density I want?  Or can someone suggest another place in the boot sequence where the static might be coming from?

Thanks,

Vic

BTW:  FreeNX rocks!  Just discovered it yesterday.