Mandriva 2006 installation problems

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 11:41:10 MST 2005

> #2. When I start the system, Grub now displays five (5) startup options:
> - Linux
> - Linux non-FB
> - Windows
> - Win4Lin
> - Win4Lin 26-12-12
>
> Why all these variations?  Why two Win4Lin options?  Where and how can I
> modify this to make Win4Lin the first boot option and Windows second?

I take a stab at this question... can't help with the others as I have never
used win4lin.

Have a look at the file /boot/grub/menu.lst (I think Mandriva may have a link
to this from something like /etc/grub.conf but I always go straight to the
real file).  It should be self-explanatory, there is a section for each of
the entries you see, and some general options at the top.  You can move the
sections around to whatever order you like, and you can specify which will
load by default if you're using that and a timeout.  You might want to make
sure you know how to boot into rescue mode from your installation CD before
you start, just in case.