Mandriva 2006 installation problems

joe joe at tlnf.com
Tue Dec 20 10:49:28 MST 2005

Thanks to Dennis Kibbe, I recently got Mandriva 2006 installed with a
Mandriva-Win4Lin kernel so that I was able to successfully install
Win4Lin 9x ... however, I've run into a few issues:

#1. When I try to switch screens/terminals to go to F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, or F6
(instead of F7 where the Gui desktops are, the system locks up and I get
varying garbage screens on all screens. I'm guessing that I must not have the
right video driver installed. Originally, Dennis used xorgcfg to get things to
work, but I may have messed things up somehow.  I did find that the system has
'harddrake2' but I'm not sure how to use it.

#2. When I start the system, Grub now displays five (5) startup options:
- Linux
- Linux non-FB
- Windows
- Win4Lin
- Win4Lin 26-12-12

Why all these variations?  Why two Win4Lin options?  Where and how can I
modify this to make Win4Lin the first boot option and Windows second?

#3. My main reason for needing Win4Lin is so I can use Pagemaker because so
much of my work is currently set up in Pagemaker files. Eventually, I
want/intend to get converted to Open Office and Scribus, etc., but until I can
accomplish the transition, I need to have Pagemaker working. The problem I now
have is that a few (not all) of my Pagemaker 6 files that work fine on my old
Mandrake 8.1 system that has an earlier version of Win4Lin will not load on
the new installation that I am trying to build.  Pagemaker appears to load
about 3/4ths of the problem files, and then a dialog pops up saying  "checking
links" and it locks up my entire Win4Lin-Windows 98 system.  Linux is not
affected. The only way I can get out of the lock-up is to kill Win4Lin+Win98.

I have laboriously gone through these problem Pagemaker files and cannot find
any  "links" ... I've even stripped most of the pages out of a copy of some of
these files to try to get a version of the files to load, with very limited
success.  In only one instance have I been able to load a file that previously
would not load. Yet the same files copied back to my old system load and work
fine.

Hope some of you brilliant folks will have some suggestions for me to get over
this hump.

Merry Christmas.

joe at actionline.com